Green Bay & Western #402 was photographed in front of the Norwood Yard
(Green Bay) turntable on October 10, 1938.
This locomotive was one of three built by Alco and delivered to the railroad
in 1937. Three more nearly identical locomotives joined the roster in
1939. The locos represented the peak of steam power on the Green Bay
The coming of the diesel Alco FA-1 locomotives in 1947 bumped them to way
freight assignments for a few years before they were also taken out of that role
by brand-new RS-2s in February 1950. The locomotives were then pulled from
revenue service, finally going to the scrap yard in 1956.