The Ahnapee & Western dieselized in 1953 with a pair of General
Electric 70-Ton switchers.
Ahnapee & Western engines #600-601 were put in service in February
1953, ending the service of steam locomotives A&W #259 (2-6-0) and
#351 (2-8-0). A&W #260 went immediately to a scrapper in
Chicago, while #351 hung around for a few years but was finally scrapped
in Sturgeon Bay.
The new diesels were painted in this maroon and yellow paint scheme (color photo)
until 1970 when they were painted orange and white to match the scheme of
U.S. Plywood Corp., A&W's new owner. U.S. Plywood purchased the
line to insure rail service to the Algoma Hardwoods
plant in Algoma.
The A&W diesel era ended in 1972 when the railroad began
contracting with the GB&W to provide equipment and crews. The two
engines were sold off -- #601 went to the Moscow Camden & San
Augustine RR in 1972, and #600 to U.S. Plywood's Champion Paper Co. the
Thanks goes out to Andy Laurent
for sharing these great builders photos of #600.