Recent additions are marked as ,
or for a list with thumbnail images check out what's new.
Use the search box
on the left to look for a specific item.
A special Thank You! goes out to all the contributors
to this web site. These pages wouldn't be possible
without your efforts.
Jump to a specific date:
  
  
  
  
- In the Beginning... (1867)
- The Green Bay scene about the time the Green Bay & Lake Pepin Railway
- GB&LP #3 JOSEPH H. SCRANTON
- The crew poses with their wood-burning locomotive during the early days of
the Green Bay Route.
- The headquarters of the Green Bay & Lake Pepin Railroad still stands
in Green Bay today.
- Eastmoor (1874)
- Green Bay & Minnesota's grain elevator at Eastmoor on the Mississippi
River, from an 1874 lithograph.
- Ticket (1882.07.24)
- An interesting ticket from The Green Bay, Winona & St. Paul RR. The
punches indicate that it cost $1.40 for a July 24, 1882 trip from Oneida to
New London, Wisconsin -- a distance of 29 miles.
- GBW&STP Correspondence (1882.05.28)
- A letter written on Green Bay, Winona & St. Paul Railroad Co.
stationery, dated May 28, 1882.
- GBW&St.P Passenger Schedule (ca. 1885)
- A complete Green Bay, Winona & St. Paul passenger schedule from the
1880's, including several pages of promotional material.
- New London Junction (ca. 1885)
- New London Junction was the location of the crossing of the Green Bay
Route and the Milwaukee Lake Shore & Western (later Chicago & North
- Kewaunee Harbor Improvements (1888.06.30)
- This Army Corps Of Engineers chart and report shows the city as it was at
the time that the Kewaunee Green Bay & Western built its rail connection
into the city.
- 1889 Map (1889)
- An map of the Green Bay Route shows steam boat connections on the Great
Lakes and a proposed extension to St. Paul.
- 'The New Bridge' (1890.09.17)
- A September 17, 1890 article from the Winona Weekly Republican on the
start of construction for the Winona Bridge Railway Company.
- 'The River Spanned' (1891.06.24)
- A June 24, 1891 article from the Winona Weekly Republican on the
completion of the bridge across the Mississippi River.
- St. Paul Extension (ca. 1892)
- A map published by the Village of Merrillan shows the proposed Green Bay
Route's extension with Merrillan as a major division point.
- A Green Bay Wreck (1894.09.01)
- A story of a September 1, 1894 wreck on the Green Bay, Winona & St.
Paul RR as told in the Winona Herald.
- 1900 Scandinavia Crew (ca. 1900)
- GB&W section crew at Scandinavia.
- Manawa Wreck (ca. 1900)
- Holy cow! It looks like the whole village of Manawa showed up at the Green
Bay & Western tracks to have their picture taken at the derailment.
- Iola & Northern (ca. 1900)
- A series of postcards shows the Iola & Northern, which would
eventually become a rural branch of the Green Bay & Western.
- Boxcar Derailment (ca. 1900)
- A wrecker is called in to upright a GBW boxcar which is leaning
precariously over the side of a wooden trestle.
- Ice Jam (1906.04.07)
- Ice jam in the Wisconsin River at the Green Bay & Western bridge.
- St. Paul Coal Docks (1907)
- The coal docks on the west bank of the Fox River in Green Bay started as
an enterprise of the Green Bay, Winona & St. Paul RR in the
1880s -- hence the name St. Paul Coal Docks.
- Cargill Coal Docks (1907)
- W.W. Cargill's Coal Dock in Green Bay, which transferred coal from ships
to waiting freight cars.
- Hatfield Dam Construction (1907)
- An early view of Hatfield captures the GB&W tracks and depot adjacent
to the new dam under construction.
- More Hatfield Dam Photos (1907)
- More photos of the 1907 Hatfield dam construction shows a locomotive used
for construction and captures a GB&W train led by a 4-4-0 passing the
- Omaha Road Crossing (1907)
- The GB&W and Omaha Road crossing at Merrillan.
- Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal (1907)
- View of the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal and the Ahnapee & Western crossing
of the water.
- Wisconsin River Crossing (1907)
- A four span through truss crosses the Wisconsin River at Wisconsin Rapids.
- Amherst Junction (1908)
- A westbound train takes on passengers at the Amherst Junction depot.
- Amherst Junction Depot (1908)
- A westbound train takes on passengers at the Amherst Junction depot.
- Grand Rapids Bridge (1908)
- GB&W railroad bridge over the Wisconsin River.
- Kewaunee (1908)
- Birds eye view of Kewaunee.
- Stevens Point (1908)
- Stevens Point station and a 4-4-0 locomotive.
- Sturgeon Bay Bridge (1908)
- A turn-of-the century view of the trestle approach and swing bridge over
the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal.
- Waupaca Station (1908)
- Postcard image of the station on the W-GB, which was once a Lutheran
- Waupaca Train (1908)
- The first train on the W-GB arrives at Waupaca.
- Big Crowd at Blair (1908.11.26)
- It must have been a special day in Blair, because a large crowd was at the
Green Bay & Western's Blair, Wis. depot, dressed in their Sunday best
- Black Creek Yards (1909)
- Black Creek in the early part of the twentieth century.
- Kewaunee Bridge (1909)
- A couple of kids fish off of the Kewaunee River bridge.
- Hatfield Bridge (1909.06.07)
- An eastbound train begins to cross the Black River bridge at Hatfield.
- Check (1909.08.27)
- Paperwork from the early part of this century.
- Grand Rapids Bridge (1909)
- This four-span through-truss bridge was built in 1872 as part of the
- Green Bay Junction (1909)
- An early view of the Green Bay & Western's namesake depot.
- Whitehall (1909)
- Engine No. 18 is cut off from the train on the main line to switch
the house and industry tracks, including the W.W. Cargill elevator at
- Taylor 1909 (1909)
- Noted Wisconsin postcard photographer J. M. Colby captured this scene of
the Green Bay & Western in Taylor in 1909.
- Amherst Junction (1910)
- An early postcard of the Amherst Junction overpass.
- Deer Hunting (1910)
- Back in 1910 the Green Bay & Western used to rent box cars to hunting
parties in Wisconsin.
- C&NW Bridge Yard (ca. 1910)
- Until 1891, Green Bay Route trains entered Winona via trackage rights
through this yard.
- Luxemburg (ca. 1910)
- Engine #35 eases past the W.W. Cargill elevator in Luxemburg, en route to
a station stop.
- Scandinavia Depot (ca. 1910)
- A busy morning at Scandinavia.
- Shiocton Bridge (1910)
- The swing span bridge over the Wolf River.
- Station '66' (1910)
- The Iola & Northern depot at Iola is still standing today.
- Engine #25 and Crew (1910)
- GB&W 4-4-0 #25 leads a train of flatcars loaded with earth
- Scandinavia Union Depot (ca. 1910)
- An Iola & Northern train sits at the depot.
- Grain Elevator (ca. 1910)
- Green Bay and Western elevator and shops in Green Bay.
- Kewaunee Skyline (1911)
- A postcard provides a bird's eye view of Kewaunee.
- Amherst Junction (1912)
- The most unique depot on the railroad had to be the one at Amherst
- Manawa Depot (1912)
- Eastbound engine #10 waits for passengers to board a train.
- Scandinavia Map (ca. 1912)
- Village map shows the Green Bay & Western and Iola & Northern.
- Trains in Merrillan (1913)
- Lots of trains thru Merrillan, Wisconsin.
- #302 Builders Plate (1913)
- Builders plate from GBW #302, built July 1913 by the American Locomotive
Company in Schenectady, N.Y.
- Freight Bill (1914)
- A typical GB&W freight bill from the pre-World War I era.
- Shiocton Street Scene (1914)
- The GB&W tracks cross Main Street, which is still a dirt road in this
1914 postcard view.
- Mogul #38 Builders Photo (1914.07)
- Kewaunee Green Bay & Western #38, built by the American Locomotive
- Arcadia Excursion (ca. 1915)
- A postcard image labeled 'Milw. Excursion at Arcadia, Wis.'
- Seymour Station (1915)
- Postcard image of the station at Seymour.
- Shop Crew (1915)
- This photo and short article about GB&W's Norwood shop crew appeared
in the Green Bay Press-Gazette in 1976.
- Sturgeon Bay Depot (1915)
- A idyllic postcard view of the Ahnapee & Western depot.
- Green Bay Station (1916)
- A postcard photo of Green Bay's passenger station, and the headquarters of
the Green Bay Route.
- Merrillan Map (1916)
- Right-of-way map of Merrillan issued by the Green Bay & Western in
- Mogul #53 (1916)
- A builder's photo of mogul #53, a typical freight-hauling workhorse of the
early part of the twentieth century.
- Green Bay Depot (1917)
- An early view of the passenger depot in Green Bay Wisconsin.
- Arcadia Washout (1919)
- Flooding of the Trempealeau River washed out the tracks on the Whitehall
- Arnott Depot (ca. 1920)
- An undated postcard view of the depot.
- KGB&W Combine (ca. 1920)
- A photo of a Kewaunee, Green Bay & Western passenger - baggage combine
shows a group of men (perhaps the train crew?) in front of the car at an
- Manawa Station (ca. 1920)
- The passenger / freight station at Manawa.
- Turntable Wreck (ca. 1920)
- An overturned coach sits next to the Merrillan turntable.
- Sturgeon Bay Map (1925)
- This map was issued May 27, 1925 by the U.S. War Department.
- Adlake Lantern (ca. 1929)
- This GB&W caboose marker lantern dates to the 1920s.
- Sturgeon Bay Aerial (1929)
- Postcard view shows the city of Sturgeon Bay and the Ahnapee &
Western's crossing of the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal.
- Whitehall Depot (ca. 1930)
- The depot at milepost 178.
- A&W Bridge Token (ca. 1930)
- This lightweight aluminum token was good for one crossing of the joint
railroad / highway bridge in Sturgeon Bay.
- Sturgeon Bay Yard (ca. 1930)
- A 2-6-0 Mogul works in the Sturgeon Bay yard during the Great Depression.
- WRX at Cheeseville (ca. 1930)
- WRX reefers at the Kraft Cheese plant in Plymouth, Wis.
- Scandinavia (ca. 1933)
- A bunch of boys and young men mock drinking in front of the depot in
- KGB&W Stock (1934)
- A certificate for one share at $100.
- Sampson Canning (ca. 1934)
- A major shipper in Wisconsin Rapids, and the source of some billboard
lettering on Western Refrigerator Lines cars.
- Locomotive #20 (1936)
- With cab windows boarded up, No. 20 waits for its eventual fate at the
- GBW #401 Builders Photo (1937)
- A builders photo and locomotive data for the class D-48 Mikado engines.
- Standard Stoker Ad (1937)
- An ad by the Standard Stoker Company in the June 18, 1937 Railway Age
magazine features GB&W's new Mikados.
- GBW #101 (1938)
- Engineer Alfred W. Daniels is operating the 600-horsepower switch engine
at Green Bay's Mason Street Yard in the fall of 1938.
- GB&W #402 (1938)
- Green Bay & Western #402 was photographed in front of the Norwood Yard
(Green Bay) turntable on October 10, 1938.
- Green Bay Aerial (1938)
- Looking north at the Green Bay & Western's tracks on the west bank of
the Fox River in Green Bay.
- KGB&W #142 was one of four similar ex-New York Central 0-6-0 steam
switching locomotives acquired from General Equipment Co. in 1923-25.
- GB&W #406 Builders Photo (1939)
- The last steam engine purchase by the railroad.
- GBW #302 (ca. 1939)
- Consolidation #302 near the end of its career on the Green Bay Route.
- #302 in the "Dead Line"
- 2-6-0 #302 awaits its fate with the scrapper's torch.
- The Crew of No. 23 (1939)
- Lem Lahie and Rudy Flanzer stand proudly in front of their steam
locomotive in Waupaca Wis. in 1939.
- Caboose #08 (1939.04.22)
- This ex-Great Northern caboose was acquired by the GB&W in October
- Caboose A&W #620 (1939)
- Ahnapee & Western's sole caboose from the 1920s onward was #020.
- Power suitable for a first-class railroad finally arrived with the three
2-8-2 Mikados #401-403 from Alco in 1937.
- Door County Cherries (1940)
- A postcard view of a train of refrigerator cars crossing the AHW swing
bridge in Sturgeon Bay.
- GB&W #399 (ca. 1940)
- GBW #399 has a full tender of coal and is ready for its next assignment.
- KGB&W #257 (ca. 1940)
- In Algoma, Wis.
- KGBW #403 (ca. 1940)
- Kewaunee Green Bay & Western 2-8-2 #403 pauses to take on water.
- Swing Bridge over Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal
- The combination railroad and highway swing bridge is open for ship traffic
in this photo from the 1940's.
- A&W #94 (ca. 1940)
- Ahnapee & Western coach #94 in MOW service.
- #251 in Sturgeon Bay (ca. 1940)
- GB&W #251 leads a short freight train across the swing bridge over
- GBW #141 (ca. 1940)
- This unique flatcar had tanks added to transport milk and cream from the
Van Camp Condensory in Casco, Wis. to the Van Camp plant in Sturgeon Bay.
- GB&W #255 (1940)
- In the early 1900s, the Green Bay Route relied heavily on 2-6-0 (Mogul)
steam locomotives for power.
- KGB&W #350 (ca. 1940)
- At Winona, Minnesota.
- Steam in Color (ca. 1940)
- A rare color photo of steam power on the Green Bay Route.
- Casco Junction Derailment
- A crew works to stabilize derailed hoppers at Casco Junction in the spring
- GBW #609 (1940)
- Caboose #609 soon after rebuilding with bay windows in 1940.
- Ink Blotter (1943)
- Promoting the options for eastbound freight routing using the Green Bay
- Waupaca Branch Ticket (1943)
- A one-way ticket from Waupaca to Granite, a three-mile trip on the Waupaca
- Smith Shipbuilding Company, Sturgeon Bay
- The shipbuilding docks at Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Company was served
by numerous industry tracks of the Green Bay Route.
- Reiss Coal Crane Collapse (1944)
- High winds took down C. Reiss Coal Company's #1 crane in 1944.
- Hatfield Gravel Pit (ca. 1945)
- Consolidation #399 switches the gravel pit on the east side of the Black
River in Hatfield.
X190 (ca. 1945)
- Steam locomotive #351, Jordan Spreader X-190 and a couple of freight cars
were involved in a derailment in Sawyer, Wisconsin in the mid-1940s.
- Stock Certificate (1946)
- GB&W stock certificate.
- Kewaunee Car Ferries (1947)
- Two Lake Michigan ferries tied up at the Kewaunee harbor slips.
- Wisconsin Rapids Depot Staff
- Many of the Wisconsin Rapids depot staff posed for the camera in front of
the old depot.
- Algoma Hardwoods (1949)
- One of the largest shippers on the Ahnapee & Western.
- Magazine Ad (1949)
- A May 21, 1949 magazine ad encourages you to 'ship the quick Green Bay
- FA-1 Builders Photo (1949)
- FA-1s like these silenced steam power on the railroad.
- Kewaunee (1950)
- A postcard aerial view of Kewaunee harbor, showing the car ferry yard and
- 'Roamer' China (ca. 1950)
- The china pattern used on the GB&W business car ROAMER.
- HH 660 #101 at Norwood (ca. 1950)
- GBW #101 sits at the Norwood Yard turntable in this undated photo from the
- Freight Train (1951)
- This uncredited painting appeared on the back page of the 1951 annual
- #305 Builders Photo (1951.05)
- The first Alco RS-3 arrived on the GB&W in May 1951.
- GBW #406 (1952)
- The end of steam power on the Green Bay Route.
- Ferry Yard (1952)
- This painting of the Kewaunee Carferry yard appeared on the back page of
the 1952 annual report.
- Sleek Power (1952)
- GBW FA-1 #507 at Winona, Minnesota.
- A&W 3004 (ca. 1953)
- The Ahnapee & Western had several of these wooden reefers in the
1940s-50s to haul canned goods from Door County canning plants.
- A&W #600 Builders Photo
- The Ahnapee & Western dieselized in 1953 with a pair of General
Electric 70-Ton switchers.
- Solemn Procession (1954)
- The Class D-47 Mikados, last steam power on the railroad, await the
scrapper's torch the spring of 1954.
- Bottle Opener (ca. 1955)
- A bottle opener promotes the GREEN BAY AND WESTERN LINES.
- FA Train (ca. 1955)
- Two FA-1s lead a westbound train somewhere on the GB&W.
- Freight Brochure (ca. 1955)
- A marketing brochure promotes the Green Bay Route's fast freight service.
Includes a color drawing of the Kewaunee car ferry slip.
- GB&W Bus (1957)
- A very unique bus operated by La Societe des Quarante Hommes et Huit
- X012 (1957.03)
- Transfer caboose X012 in Green Bay.
- Freight Train (1958)
- A pair of Alco FA-1s pull a freight train along a swollen and muddy
- GBW 15030 (ca. 1958)
- These 40' boxcars were rebuilt from 14000-series double door auto loaders.
- FA-1 Postcard (1959)
- A pair of FA-1's haul a time freight across western Wisconsin.
- New Equipment (1959)
- This photo from the 1959 annual report highlights some of the newsiest
locomotives and cars on the railroad.
- New Wis. Rapids Depot (1959)
- New depot and office building at Wisconsin Rapids, Wis., constructed in
- Old Wis. Rapids Depot (1959)
- Old depot at Wisconsin Rapids, built in 1886, which has been dismantled.
- #310 Builders Photo (1960)
- New 2400 horsepower diesel.
- AHW #600 (1960)
- One of two GE 70-ton locos owned by the Ahnapee & Western.
- Pocket Calendar (1960)
- A neat little business card sized calendar from the Green Bay Route Credit
- #302, #307 at Norwood (ca. 1960)
- Two shots of RS-2 #302 and RS-3 #307 together at Norwood Yard in Green
Bay, taken on the same day.
- #309 High Hood (1960)
- Kewaunee, Green Bay & Western #309 represents an era of transition on
the railroad, at least from a locomotive standpoint.
- GAEX 112008 (ca. 1960)
- Boxcar #112008 as it appeared when it first arrived on the GBW.
- Caboose #608 (1961.11)
- Caboose #608 was a survivor, lasting into the era when most wood cabooses
had been replaced by new steel cars.
- FA-1 Power (1961)
- It's 1961 and the Green Bay Route's FA-1s are soon facing the end of their
- Winona Yard (1961)
- It's August 1961 and FA-1 #507 and RS-27 #310 are in the Winona, Minnesota
yard, the western end of the railroad.
- 40' PS-1 Boxcar (1962)
- Boxcar built in 1959 for the loading of paper.
- #311 Builders Photo (1963)
- GB&W Century 424 #311, built by by Alco in 1963.
- RS-11 #309 (1963)
- Photographer R. T. Smart caught #309 in Green Bay, August 1963.
- Sturgeon Bay Track Plans (1963)
- Aerial photos of Ahnapee & Western tracks in Sturgeon Bay and Sawyer,
with the railroad tracks highlighted for greater visibility.
- End of an Era (1964)
- Alco FA-1 KGB&W #502 in Green Bay, nearing the end of her service on
- Hard-Working RS-2 (1964)
- It is early summer 1964, and K.C. Henkels captured RS-2 #302 at Green Bay.
- Caboose #614 sports a HOME OF THE PACKERS football herald in April 1964.
- C-424 #311 (1965)
- The Century series locomotives the GB&W had looked best in this
- Caboose 611 (1965)
- This caboose is typical of the 1937-1940 GB&W rebuild program that
added bay windows to the wooden cabooses.
- Green Bay Food Company (ca. 1965)
- A postcard view of Green Bay Food Company, located adjacent to the Green
Bay & Western's Norwood Yard.
- Pullman-Standard Boxcar (1965)
- The Green Bay & Western added 200 boxcars to its roster in late 1951
-- the first steel boxcars on the railroad.
- Western Refrigerator Lines started in 1929 with a fleet of 500 wood
refrigerator cars for GB&W customers; by the 1960s most of the remaining
cars were painted gray and had the simplified lettering scheme shown.
- Business Car #603 (1966)
- Business car #603 was a standard GB&W wooden caboose which received
bay windows in the 1937-1940 rebuild program.
- C-424 #312 (1966)
- Wisconsin Rapids WI, February 12, 1966.
- RS-2 #304 (1966)
- An Alco RS-2, in a fresh gray-and-red paint job, sits in the sun on a
beautiful fall day.
- Caboose #609 (1966)
- GBW wooden caboose #609 near the end of its service on the railroad.
- #306 in Wisconsin Rapids (1967)
- Photo taken in Wisconsin Rapids on March 18, 1967.
- C-424 #313 (1967)
- GBW 313, 312, and an RS unit idle away at Wisconsin Rapids.
- Caboose #607 (1967)
- At Wisconsin Rapids.
- RS-2 #304 (1967)
- Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
- RS-27 #310 (1967)
- The spring thaw is underway and Alco RS-27 (model DL640) sits in a slushy
Wisconsin Rapids yard.
- #315 Builders Photo (1968)
- A postcard picture of engine #315, awaiting delivery to the Green Bay
- #903 (1968)
- Engine #903 was leased from the Chicago & North Western and still
wears the C&NW's green-and-yellow paint scheme.
- Merrillan Bridge Collapse (1968)
- The wreck at the East Fork of Halls Creek on the east edge of Merrillan
when the bridge collapsed in August 1968.
- Merrillan Train (1968)
- A pair of RS-3s lead an eastbound train over the temporary culvert over
the East Fork of Halls Creek.
- New Halls Creek Culvert (1968)
- This culvert replaced the damaged bridge over the East Fork of Halls
- Railroad Model Craftsman (1968)
- The cover features GBW #312 entering the Green Bay turntable while an Alco
RS-27 in Chicago & North Western colors sits nearby.
- RS-11 #309 (ca. 1968)
- Note that #309 has Alco Century pilot steps!
- RS-2 #301 (1968)
- Locomotive #301, one of four RS-2's on the roster, waits in Wisconsin
Rapids for its next assignment.
- RS-2 #302 (1968)
- At Wisconsin Rapids.
- RS-27 #310 (ca. 1968)
- At Wisconsin Rapids.
- RS-3 #305 (ca. 1968)
- Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
- RS-3 #307 (ca. 1968)
- Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
- RS-3 #308 (ca. 1968)
- Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
- S-1 #103 (ca. 1968)
- KGB&W #103 at Green Bay, ca. 1968.
- S-2 #201 (1968)
- KGB&W #201 at Green Bay.
- CNW 902 (1968)
- GBW 317 (ex-CNW 902) on what appears to be the Penn Central in April 1968.
- WRX 9350 (1968.11)
- Western Refrigerator Lines #9350-9351 had a short life on the WRX roster
in the late 1960s, but these two cars were then repainted and renumbered to
GBW 22090-22091 in 1971 and remained in service through the end of the GBW
- Sturgeon Bay (1968)
- Great images from a very tumultuous time in the Ahnapee & Western's
- #312 (1969)
- C-424 #312 still displays vintage colors at Wisconsin Rapids in 1969.
- Ballast Tamper (1969)
- A ballast tamper maintains the high-speed roadbed.
- C-424 #314 (1969)
- #314 was a Kewaunee, Green Bay & Western unit.
- Plow Train (1969)
- A westbound plow train approaching Sand Road on the west edge of Merrillan.
- RS-2 #301 (1969)
- GB&W #301 wears the last rendition of the classic red-and-gray paint
- RS-2 #303 (1969)
- Wisconsin Rapids, March 3, 1969.
- S-1 #102 (1969)
- S-1 # 102 after sale to Nekoosa Papers, Port Edwards, Wis, 1969.
- Train Wreck! (1969)
- Some pictures and a short story about a Memorial Day train wreck near
- WRX 9436 (ca. 1969)
- All-steel reefer used by the Western Refrigerator Lines.
- Business car #603 (1969)
- Business car #603 in Green Bay, Wis.
- GBW #11208 (1969)
- Ten green box cars were originally from a pool of 540 GAEX 50' damage-free
box cars built from 1950-1955. They arrived about 1960 and were the first
50-foot boxcars on the GBW's roster.
- Burnt Boxcar (1969)
- A Green Bay Route boxcar got toasted in a US Plywood plant fire.
- GBW #608 at Green Bay, June 6, 1969. This is the last known photo of this
- C-430 #315 (1970)
- Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
- Green Bay Station (ca. 1970)
- An undated postcard photo of Green Bay's passenger station.
- Sturgeon Bay Aerial (ca. 1970)
- This undated postcard shows a nice aerial view of Sturgeon Bay, looking to
- Wisconsin Rapids Aerial (ca. 1970)
- An aerial view of Wisconsin Rapids shows the Green Bay & Western's
bridge over the Wisconsin River.
- WRX 9350 (ca. 1970)
- Western Refrigerator Lines #9350-9351 were short-lived on the WRX roster
in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
- GBW 700 to 899 were Pullman Standard PS-1 boxcars delivered in boxcar red
with black ends in 1951. The HOME OF THE PACKERS logo was added in the early
- GBW X106 (1971.09.05)
- This MOW flatcar was built from the underframe of a passenger coach.
- Business Car #1776 (1972)
- Postcard view of business car #1776.
- Roamer (1972)
- A postcard view of business car "Roamer" in front of the Rock
Island's depot at Ottawa, Ill.
- C-424 #313 (1972)
- This shot of 313 shows a few details not typically associated with the
- Leaving Bridge Yard (1972)
- Alco C-424 #314 and C-430 #315 leads a train into Winona's Bridge
Yard in the summer of 1972.
- Mississippi Bridge Approach
- A train approaches the Mississippi River bridge after departing Bridge
yard in Winona.
- "All-Red" RS-2 (1973)
- Carl Whittaker captured RS-2 #301 in Wisconsin Rapids on October 4, 1973.
- #315 in Shop (1975)
- A major failure required a complete rebuild of the Alco C-430 #315 in
GBW's Norwood Yard shops.
- Oneida Hill (ca. 1975)
- Train No. 1 handling good tonnage up Oneida Hill.
- RS-2 #304 (ca. 1975)
- Alco RS-2 #304 on a sunny spring day in Wisconsin.
- RS-2 #304 (1975)
- RS-2 GBW #304 rests in the Wisconsin Rapids sunshine on October 18, 1975.
- RS-20 #308 (1975)
- One of the Green Bay Route's RS-20's at work in Green Bay.
- RS-27 #317 (1975)
- RS-27 # 317 shows of the paint scheme that all GB&W locos had in the
- 1776 at Wisconsin Rapids (ca. 1975)
- The business car was built from two International Car Company caboose
shells mounted on a former Milwaukee Road 50' boxcar underframe.
- Loading the Ferry (1975)
- RS-27s #316-317 load the Chessie System's City of
Midland 41 on
a sunny Sunday afternoon in Kewaunee.
- Norwood Elevator (1975)
- The grain elevator dominates this view of Norwood Yard in Green Bay.
- #315 in Wisconsin Rapids (1976)
- It's July 1976, and #315 rests in the division point yard at Wisconsin
- AHW Excursion (ca. 1976)
- Algoma Railroad Excursion train at Casco Junction.
- Merrillan Crossing (1976)
- Eastbound Train No. 2 passes the Merrillan depot painted in 'C&NW 400'
- Newspaper Ad (1976)
- Promoting how the Green Bay Route avoids Chicago traffic snarls by
crossing Lake Michigan in only four hours.
- Plover Plume (1976.04)
- RS-2 #304 shoots a plume of Alco 'turbo lag' smoke into the Plover sky.
- Plover Depot (1976.04)
- Eastbound Train No. 2 at the Plover depot.
- Trempealeau Valley Limited (1976)
- Schedule of the May 29-30, 1976 Trempealeau Valley Limited excursion.
- Winona Bridge (1976)
- Mississippi River bridge and the Trempealeau Valley Limited.
- Precision National #901 (1976)
- Precision National RS-27 #901 was soon to be repainted and renumbered as
Green Bay & Western #318.
- Stevens Point (1976)
- An RS-2 pulls a single car across the crossing of the Soo Line main line.
- McGee Promoted (1976)
- A remarkable letter from the General Superintendent to the President of
the GB&W informing him that he has been promoted to Locomotive Engineer.
- #305 at the Yard Office (1976.04)
- Bill Christopher caught RS-20 #305 at the Norwood Yard office on an
overcast April day in 1976.
- Caboose #618 (1976.05)
- The last new cabooses on the Green Bay Route were #608 and #618, identical
cars built in 1969.
- Newspaper Ad (1977)
- Introducing a fleet of 60' high capacity boxcars and 100 ton capacity
- Norwood Shops (1977)
- A series of pictures taken at Norwood Shops in March 1977 while
accompanying MIGN #1501 (ex- GBW #304) to the shop for traction motor
- Train No. 1 at Norwood (1977)
- Train No. 1 waits for a crew to take it westward across the state.
- Caboose #615 (1977)
- Wearing fresh yellow paint in Wisconsin Rapids.
- AHW Excursion (1978)
- Photos from a special passenger excursion trip on the Ahnapee &
Western from Algoma to Casco Junction.
- GBW #900-949 were the first yellow boxcars on the railroad.
- #310 at Green Bay (1979)
- Engine #310 heads up train No. 1 on its long trek west across the state.
- Conrail #2486 (1979)
- This locomotive would become GBW #320 in about a year.
- GB&W Adds Boxcars
- Jim Gingle, switch foreman for the Green Bay & Western Railroad, rides
one of 450 boxcars being delivered to the railroad during a two-month
- AHW 4000 (1979.10)
- Added to the Freight Car Photo Roster.
- GBW #321 (ca. 1980)
- GBW #321 shows off its paint scheme of the early 1980s.
- Cargill #12 (1980)
- Cargill #12 (ex-GBW #102) at Buffalo, Iowa.
- Jordan Spreader (1980)
- At Merrillan, configured for summertime operation.
- Kewaunee (ca. 1980)
- This postcard view of Kewaunee harbor has a carferry boat in it, with the
Kewaunee Co-Op in the foreground.
- GB&W #315 (1980)
- The bright red paint of the 1970s has faded in this photo taken a few
years after the Itel purchase of the GB&W.
- Switching Power (1980)
- GBW #305-308 were Alco RS-3s rebuilt with Alco 251 2000-horsepower engines
and a lowered short hood.
- Transfer Caboose (1980)
- GBW #101 was a transfer caboose built in the 1960s from an old wooden
- Winona Enginehouse (1980)
- Locomotives were housed in this facility at the west end of the railroad.
- Transfer Caboose #104 (1980)
- In the latter part of the 1960s the Green Bay & Western rebuilt most
of their remaining wood cabooses as transfer cabooses like this one.
- New Power at New London (1980.05)
- Freshly rebuilt #322 was in the lead of this extra-powerful consist in May
- Caboose #102 (1980.08)
- In the 1960s., the Green Bay Route built five transfer cabooses were built
from the underframes of old wood cabooses.
- Caboose #113 (1980.08)
- Built by Thrall Car in 1960 as #613, this caboose was renumbered into the
#100- series in 1978.
- #1201 (1981)
- An interesting switcher which operated briefly on the GB&W but never
- Winona Bridge (1981)
- The Winona Bridge Railway's Mississippi River bridge swing span from the
center looking toward Winona.
- Cupola Caboose (1981)
- Green Bay & Western's caboose #112 was at the end of an eastbound
train passing through Merrillan in 1981.
- GBW 5000 (1981.04)
- GBW 5000 was one of fifty 12' door Plate C insulated boxcars built by
Fruit Growers Express for the GBW in 1981. The paint is practically still
wet in this photo taken soon after it went into service.
- Alco Smoke! (1982)
- It's July 1982 and Green Bay & Western #312 (Alco C-424) leads a trio
of power on the head end of Train No. 1, the fast-freight cross-state run.
- Caboose #112 (1982)
- Taken August 1982 in Plover.
- Auto-Train #901 (1982.04)
- Auto-Train dome car at Green Bay & Western's Norwood Shops, April
- Takin' Care of Business (ca. 1982)
- GBW #323 leads a short business train.
- Paper Plate (ca. 1982)
- A typical paper plate used on the passenger car Trempealeau River.
- Sand Road (1982)
- Alco C-424 #312 with a fresh on-of-a-kind paint job passes Sand Road, just
west of Merillan, Wis.
- Kewaunee Car Ferry (ca. 1983)
- The CITY OF MIDLAND 41 at slip no. 1 in Kewaunee.
- LR&W on the GB&W (1983)
- What may have been the most unique pairing of diesel locomotives to ever
ride the Green Bay & Western: #312 in a one-of-a-kind
"chevron" paint scheme along with LR&W #102.
- GBW #55 (1983.04.23)
- Thrall Door boxcars arrived in the early 70s. They were used to carry
hardboard products to Ford plants in the Detroit area.
- Black River Bridge (1984)
- Eastbound Train No. 2 crosses over the bridge in front of the Lake Arbutus
Dam at Hatfield, Wis.
- East Halls Creek (1984)
- The westbound train passes over the large pipe culvert east of town.
- Train No. 2 at Merrillan (1984)
- Bob Gile caught eastbound Train No. 2 as it crossed the Chicago &
North Western tracks at Merrillan late in the afternoon on May 3, 1984.
- Westbound Train No. 2 (1984)
- Train No. 2 on the Whitehall Division.
- One Bay Open Hopper (1984)
- Seventy-five one-bay hoppers came from the Lake Superior & Ishpeming
Railroad in 1982.
- Eastbound Pulpwood at Rapids (1984.08)
- Eastbound train No. 2 has arrived at Wisconsin Rapids.
- Caboose #114 (1984.09)
- Steel bay-window caboose #114.
- GBW 10063 (1984)
- GBW 10000-10099 were 70-ton, 50'6", Plate C boxcars (former East
Camden & Highland 2351-2499) which came to the railroad in three batches
during 1981 - 1984. They had minimal repainting when put into GBW service.
They went off the roster in 1991
- Homer E. McGee #312 (ca. 1985)
- GBW #312 "Homer E. McGee" leads a freight train.
- Snow Plow Train (1985)
- RS-20 #306 and C-424 #312 push GBW's X190 plow the morning after a heavy
- No. 2 at Wis. Rapids (1986)
- Train No. 2 arrives at Wisconsin Rapids and meets the afternoon yard job
that will reclassify its train.
- No. 4 at Amherst Junction
- Train No. 4, the Plover Way Freight, works the Pavelski Enterprises (later
FS Cooperative) fertilizer company in Amherst Junction.
- Yellow River Bridge (1986.06)
- The fisherman standing beneath the Yellow River bridge is unimpressed as
250 tons of GB&W locomotives pass overhead.
2 at Norwood (1986.10)
- This trio of GB&W Alco C-424s arrived at Norwood Yard on Train No. 2
from Wisconsin Rapids on a crisp October morning in 1986.
- Train 2 at Merrillan (1988)
- Eastbound Train No 2 comes into Merrillan in October 1988 behind a freshly
- #318 in Plover Yard (ca. 1989)
- Robert Schoneman photographed Green Bay & Western's Alco RS-27
locomotive in Plover.
- #320 at Whiting (1989)
- GBW #320 switching the Whiting Paper Mill, shortly after repainting in
- Ballast Train (1989)
- GBW #318 heads up a ballast train between Wisconsin Rapids and Plover
- C-420/424 Hoods (1989)
- Showing the difference in the short hoods of Alco's C-424 and C-420
- Wisconsin Rapids Power (1989)
- GBW #318, #320, #314, and #319 ready for their next assignments.
- Wisconsin Rapids Winter (1989)
- GB&W 320 at Wisconsin Rapids in January 1989.
- Caboose #112 (1989.09.28)
- The final caboose added to the roster was this second-hand cupola caboose,
originally Kansas Oklahoma & Gulf #1549, later Missouri Pacific #11241.
- #305 on the FRVR (ca. 1990)
- GBW #305 with a Fox River Valley Railroad engine at Wausau WI.
- #321 in Winter (1990)
- GBW's Alco C-424 #321 sits in Wisconsin Rapids on a sunny winter day.
- #316 in Wisconsin Rapids (1990)
- RS-27 #316 sits in front of the Wisconsin Rapids roundhouse.
- #323 at Wisconsin Rapids (1990)
- Alco C-420 #323 lays over at Wisconsin Rapids on April 9, 1990.
- Business Train (ca. 1990)
- The entire GB&W business car fleet of the 1980s.
- Caboose #101 (ca. 1990)
- A transfer caboose at Wisconsin Rapids.
- Jordan Spreader (ca. 1990)
- The spreader was an invaluable maintenance asset both summer and winter.
- Dusk in Plover (ca. 1990)
- A very late eastbound Train No. 2 pauses next to the Plover way freight at
- #323 in Howard (1991)
- C-420 No. 323, built as Lehigh & Hudson River No. 27 in February 1966,
works the industrial park in Howard on August 20, 1991.
- Trading Cards (1991)
- Cards printed by All Aboard Collector Cards feature RS2 #303 and RS3 #305.
- "Sprint" Train No. 10 (1991)
- Short-lived "Sprint" Train No. 10 prepares to depart Wisconsin
Rapids on June 19, 1991.
- Crew on No. 2 (1992)
- Conductor Randy Schultz talks things over with brakeman Rich Hanke prior
to departing with Train No. 2 on October 3, 1992.
- Homer E. McGee (1992)
- #312 pauses between moves at '165,' the Badger Sand & Mining load out
in Taylor, Wis.
- RSD-15 #2404 (ca. 1992)
- Locomotive #2404 was one of six ex-AT&SF/LS&I RSD-15 'Alligators'
which wound up on the Green Bay & Western in the last years.
- Train No. 4 at Plover (1992)
- A dirty Alco C-424 works industries at Plover.
- Alco RSD 15 #2405 (1992)
- Some of the more unique power to ever ride on GBW rails had to be the ex-
Lake Superior & Ishpeming RSD-15s.
- East of Whitehall (1992)
- Eastbound Train No. 2 crests the hill east of Whitehall.
- James River Job (ca. 1992)
- GBW #307 pulls a cut of cars off the Quincy Street spur near the James
River Paper Company.
- GBW #312 (1992)
- This loco was named for "Homer E. McGee," a president of the
- #309 at Del Monte (1993)
- New Year's Day 1993 was not a holiday for the crew on the Plover way
freight as business continued to boom in GB&W's last year.
- C-420 #323 (ca. 1993)
- Freshly repainted Alco C-420 GBW #323 on train #2 at Plover.
- The End... (1993)
- The Wisconsin Rapids engine terminal, six hours after the Fox Valley
& Western Railroad takeover.
- Farewell Excursion (1993)
- A farewell excursion train was run on Halloween weekend just after the
Wisconsin Central purchased the line.
- Norwood Shops (1993)
- C-424 Nos. 319 and 320 rest at Norwood on Sunday, January 24, 1993
awaiting routine maintenance.
- Trio of Power (ca. 1993)
- A trio of engines led by #311 at rest in Stevens Point.
- West End of Norwood (1993)
- No. 306 is busy assembling westbound Train No. 1.
- Hudson Street (1993)
- No. 306 works Job 1 as it pulls the former Milwaukee Road interchange at
Hudson Street in Green Bay on July 30, 1993.
- RS-20 #305 (1994)
- RS-20 #305 works a cut of covered hoppers at Taylor in 1994.
- End of the AHW (1995)
- A contractor's truck in Casco with rails pulled from the AHW's right of
- WC #308 (1995)
- Ex-GBW #308 re-lettered for the Wisconsin Central.
- #319 on the CALM (ca. 1995)
- Former Green Bay & Western Alco C424 #319 operating in Arkansas on the
short-lived Caddo, Antoine & Little Missouri Railroad.
- AHW Enginehouse (1996)
- A photo taken from southeast.
- Farewell, Colonel Caboose (1999)
- Who is he and what does this have to do with the Green Bay Route?
- AHW Boxcar #4054 (2000)
- This McCloud Railway double door boxcar still carries Ahnapee &
- Boxcar #1001 (2000)
- Former auto parts boxcar #1001 at Manawa.
- Caboose #101 (2000)
- Transfer caboose #101, at Wisconsin Central's North Green Bay yard.
- Caboose #112 (2000)
- Road caboose #112 in Chippewa Falls.
- End of Norwood (2000)
- Photos from the dismantling of Norwood Yard's historic shop facilities
- Ex-GB&W locos in Arkansas (2000)
- GBW #306 meets the end of the line in Antoine AK, and three Alco Centuries
ponder an uncertain future.
- Jordan Spreader X190 (2000)
- A complete set of detailed photos of GBW X190 from all sides.
- Luxemburg Co-Op (2000)
- A picture captioned 'Railroad still comes to Luxemburg' from the April 6,
2000 Luxemburg News.
- Caboose #115 (2001)
- GB&W Caboose # 115 at Wisconsin Central's North Fond du Lac Shops Yard
on January 1, 2001.
- Engine 305 (2001)
- GB&W engine #305, owned by the Gopher State Railway Museum near New
- What's Left of Norwood? (2001)
- Andy Laurent captured this panoramic view of of Norwood Yard in July,
- Bridge at Dodge (2001)
- The GBW's crossing of the Trempealeau River at Dodge, Wis. used an
unusual skewed two-span pony truss bridge with a curved alignment to cross
the muddy green waters of the Trempealeau River.
- Side Dump Cars (2002)
- These unique cars are used to haul granite near Stevens Point.
- GBW Gondola (2002)
- Gondola #33 at Wolf Brothers Sawmill, Stetsonville, Wis.
- Winona Today (2004)
- What's left of the GB&W in Winona, Minnesota.
- Caboose 605 Rediscovered!
- For the thirty years the trail of this relic of GBW's past went cold --
despite rumors that it still existed somewhere in the woods of Michigan's
- RS-2s on the Move! (2004)
- Ex- Green Bay & Western #301 and #303 were on the move from
Blissfield, Mich. to the Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth,
Minn in October 2004.
- Ex GBW #308 (2005)
- Ex-GBW #308 has been sold in operating condition by the KB&S RR to a
private owner, who plans to restore it to the GBW's classic red and gray
- Jeep FC 170 hi-rail (2005)
- A Jeep four-wheel drive maintenance truck still carries traces of Green
Bay & Western lettering.
- Car 54, Where Are you? (2008)
- This Fairmont MT-19 speeder is painted in the GB&W's classic
red-and-gray paint scheme.
- New Paint for #313 (2008.09.12)
- Ex-GB&W C-424 #313 has fresh coat of paint on the Minnesota Commercial
- New Paint for #313 (2008.09.12)
- Ex-GB&W C-424 #313 has fresh coat of paint on the Minnesota Commercial
End is Near for #22 (2014)
- Car #22 nears the end of its life at Cassville, Wisconsin.