Alco FA-1 KGB&W #502 in Green Bay, nearing
the end of her service on the railroad.
The Green Bay Route's five 1500 horsepower Alco FA-1 diesels arrived in
1947-49. Besides introducing the classic red-and-gray paint scheme, they ushered in a new era of fast freight service across
Wisconsin, replacing the Class D-47 Mikados on
However, by the 1960s tonnage on trains had increased to the point
where lash-ups of pairs of the FA-1s were no longer adequate. One by one,
the locomotives were traded in on 2400 horsepower second generation Alco
RS-27 and C-424 models.
In later years some of the screened areas along the top of the unit
were patched over with solid panels - compare this photo to a 1952
photo of #507 to see the differences.
When this photo was taken in April 1964 there were only two FA-1s left on
the railroad: KGBW #502-503. Both would be retired the following
A thanks goes out to Bob Schoneman
for sharing this photo.