Kewaunee Green Bay & Western #38, built by the American Locomotive
The Mogul type 2-6-0 was well-suited to the Green Bay Route in the early
part of the twentieth century: the two-wheel leading truck provided good
riding qualities on the railroad's mediocre track, yet still put a large portion of the total locomotive weight
on the driving wheels for hauling freight.
KGB&W #38 was the eight of eighteen Green Bay Route Moguls bought from
Alco between 1907 and 1924. Considering the seventeen-year production run,
all of the locos were remarkably similar in appearance and service on the
GB&W traffic began to increase substantially by the mid-1920s, due in a
large part from auto parts traffic from points east to a Ford assembly plant
in St. Paul, Minn. which opened in 1924. For a while, the Moguls were
doubleheaded to meet the demand, but the railroad quickly upgraded the rails and
purchased more powerful 2-8-0 and 2-8-2 locomotives. The Moguls
quickly found themselves in secondary assignments, replacing the ancient 4-4-0 locomotives
which had reached the end of their productive life.
KGB&W #38 was renumbered #257 in April 1937 and retired in July 1941,
presumably scrapped at that date or soon afterwards.