|GBW #101 sits at the Norwood Yard turntable in this undated photo from
This Alco HH600 switcher was built by Alco in 1938, and was the Green
Bay Route's first diesel-electric locomotive. It originally wore a plain black
paint scheme with white lettering but was painted in this red and
gray scheme to match the Alco FA-1 road locomotives which arrived in
Besides being the first diesel locomotive on the railroad, it also had
the distinction of being the first locomotive to leave the roster. In
April 1956 it was sold to United Electric
Coal Company of Illinois, where it kept its basic GBW paint
scheme until at least 1961. It was scrapped about 1976.
Thanks goes out to Dave Simonis
of Stevens Point for sharing this photo!