The shipbuilding docks at Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Company was served by
numerous industry tracks of the AHW.
Sturgeon Bay became a very busy shipbuilding city during the Second World War. This
photo shows the trackage around Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Company (later Christy
Corporation, now Bay Shipbuilding Company) in 1944, a few years before the Ahnapee &
Western branch was sold by the Green Bay & Western and began operations as an
independent railroad. Several war ships are under construction on three docks
extending into the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal. The AHW served the shipbuilding docks from
This photo was reduced from a very high-resolution scan.
To view the original image, click here (852
Related photos & stuff: