|Black Creek in the early part of the twentieth century.
In 1896, the first year of operation of the Green Bay & Western
railroad, a new 20' by 40' freight/passenger depot was erected in Black
Creek. This postcard view shows the depot in 1909. First-class passenger
car #52 is on the right, while a 40- series coach (note the closer
window spacing) is just ahead of it. The train must be close to
departing, as people are beginning to board.
The depot also saw a lot of less-than-carload traffic also. Check out
the various items sitting on the passenger platform.
After 1918 Black Creek took on even more importance to the Green Bay
Route when the Wisconsin and Northern completed an extension from
Shawano to Black Creek and interchanged with the GB&W.
This photo also appears in Stan Mailer's Green Bay and Western on
page 191. The caption in that book reads:
Black Creek is located 23.5 miles west of Green Bay and passenger
train No. 1 was scheduled to arrive there at 7:47 am. Visible are the
first class 50-series accommodation with the 40-series smoker just
ahead. The depot was replaced in the McGee era. This photo was taken