Green Bay & Western Lines
The East-West Short Route
 [Home]     Information ] Locos ] Rolling Stock ] Photos & Stuff ] Ephemera ] Modeling ] References ] Site Map ]

Up ]


Rolling Stock
Photos & Stuff
Site Map

What's New?
Guest Book

In the Beginning...
GB&LP Headquarters
New London Junction
Kewaunee Harbor
Arcadia Washout
Manawa Wreck
Iola & Northern
Ice Jam
St. Paul Coal Docks
Cargill Coal Docks
Hatfield Dam Const.
Omaha Road Crossing
Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal
Wisconsin River Crossing
Waupaca Station
Waupaca Train
Sturgeon Bay Bridge
Stevens Point
Grand Rapids Bridge
Amherst Junction
Amherst Junction Depot
Big Crowd At Blair
Kewaunee Bridge
Hatfield Bridge
Black Creek Yards
Grand Rapids Bridge
Green Bay Junction
Taylor 1909
Scandinavia Depot
Scandinavia Union Depot
Grain Elevator
C&NW Bridge Yard
Shiocton Bridge
Station "66"
Amherst Junction
Deer Hunting
Kewaunee Skyline
Manawa Depot
Amherst Junction
Shiocton Street Scene
Trains in Merrillan
Scandinavia Map
Arcadia Excursion
Seymour Station
Sturgeon Bay Depot
Green Bay Station
Merrillan Map
Green Bay Depot
Manawa Station
Turntable Wreck
Arnott Depot
The Crew of No. 23
Amherst Junction
Sturgeon Bay Map
Sturgeon Bay Aerial
Sturgeon Bay Yard Action
WRX at Cheeseville
Whitehall Depot
Sampson Canning
Swing Bridge
Green Bay Aerial
Door County Cherries
Casco Junction derailment
Smith Shipbuilding
Steam in Color
#251 in Sturgeon Bay
Reiss Coal Crane Collapse
Hatfield Gravel Pit
Kewaunee Car Ferries
Wis. Rapids Depot Staff
Algoma Hardwoods
Old Wis. Rapids Depot
New Wis. Rapids Depot
Winona Yard
Sturgeon Bay Track Plans
Green Bay Food Company
Merrillan Bridge Collapse
Merrillan Train
New Halls Creek Culvert
Sturgeon Bay
1969 Train Wreck!
Green Bay Station
Wisconsin Rapids Aerial
Casco Depot
Sturgeon Bay Aerial
Mississippi Bridge Approach
Oneida Hill
Loading the Ferry
Norwood Elevator
1976 AHW Excursion
Merrillan Crossing
Winona Bridge
Trempealeau Valley Limited
Plover Depot
Stevens Point
Norwood Shops
1978 AHW Excursion
Taylor, Wis.
Kewaunee ca. 1980
Winona Enginehouse
New Power at New London
Winona Bridge
Fouling the Diamond
Sand Road
Kewaunee Car Ferriy
Train No. 2 at Merrillan
East Halls Creek
Westbound No. 2
Black River Bridge
Eastbound Pulpwood at Rapids
'85 Snow Plow Train
Train 2
No. 2 at Norwood
Alma Center
Train 2 at Merrillan
Ballast Train
Broadway Tower
'Valley Line' Train
East of Whitehall
James River Job
Norwood Shops
#309 at Del Monte
The End...
Farewell Excursion
End of the AHW
AHW Enginehouse
Luxemburg Co-Op
End of Norwood
Bridge at Dodge
Winona Today

Did you know...

Reload this page for more GREEN BAY ROUTE facts.

A postcard aerial view of Kewaunee harbor, showing the car ferry yard and boat slips.

The view is looking east into Lake Michigan.  The card was postmarked 1950.

Kewaunee is located where the Kewaunee River enters Lake Michigan.  The Green Bay Route followed the river from Casco Junction, east to Kewaunee, where trains were transferred to ferry boats operated by the Chesapeake & Ohio (Pere Marquette until 1947) and Ann Arbor railroads.  The ferry yard is located on the peninsula on the north side of the harbor entrance (the left side of the postcard).  In addition, the Green Bay Route had a spur track to serve the old passenger station and local industries in Kewaunee, including the Kewaunee Co-Op.

The Green Bay Route was completed to Kewaunee in 1891.  Originally, freight was transferred to steamships.  Plans were soon expanded to use car ferries to carry entire trains across the lake.  Construction of the car ferry yard began in August 1892.  The first car ferry, ANN ARBOR NO. 1, had her maiden voyage into Kewaunee on November 26, 1892, carrying 4 carloads of coal.  A second slip was built later 300 feet north of the first, to accommodate the growing fleet of ferries serving the port.  Ferry service continued for almost 100 years, until November 16, 1990 when the S.S. BADGER made her last crossing under the Michigan-Wisconsin Transportation flag

Kewaunee's first bridge was constructed across the river at the end of Main Street in 1868. This structure was dismantled in the 1880's when the car ferry slip was built.  In 1897, the Frank Hamachek Machine Co. erected a pontoon bridge to the ferry slip, but it only remained in use a few years. 

In the 1950's, two FA-1's out of Green Bay would normally handle the boat switching work.  By the 1970's one or two of the C-424's or RS-27's would handle the task.

Related material

Postcard, 1950.

[ Top of This Page

 The Green Bay Route is maintained by Mark Mathu.
Visit the Guest Book or send comments to
Updated July 11, 2015