Looking north at the Green Bay & Western's tracks on the west bank of the
Fox River in Green Bay.
This location is referred to as Green Bay Junction, the location where the
Green Bay Route, Milwaukee Road, and Chicago &
North Western converge on the west bank of the Fox River.
This is where track laying for the original Green
Bay & Lake Pepin RR began on July 29, 1869. The yard in the
center foreground of the picture was the interchange with the Milwaukee
Road, which ran east-west at the extreme forefront of the picture.
Just to the right (east) of the interchange yard was the C. Reiss coal docks
on the Fox River. In the early days of the Green Bay Route this trackage
served as a major link to the outside world, being the transfer point for ship
to rail traffic on the east end of the route. It lost much of its
importance with the construction of the Kewaunee,
Green Bay & Western in 1890, with its connection to Lake Michigan car
ferry service. The coal docks started out as general merchandise docks owned by
the railroad, but by the early twentieth century the W.W.
Cargill Company acquired the property and used it as a storage site to
transfer coal, salt, and similar materials from ships to rail cars.
The Chicago & North Western tracks extend
due north along the west bank of the river, terminating at the large grain
elevator seen in the distance. The Green Bay & Western's tracks sweep
an arc to the left (west) in the photo, with Norwood Yard located just off the
left side of this image.
This particular postcard was dated 1949. The back side says:
"Historic Green Bay, located at the junction of the Fox and East Rivers, is
one of the finest harbors on the Great Lakes and one of the best distributing, manufacturing,
and transportation centers. The site was visited in 1634 by jean Nicolet and was
the mecca of fur traders for over a century."